Rappahannock River Crossing Project
The Rappahannock River Crossing Project is designed to improve I-95 congestion by providing local traffic with an additional route to travel between Route 17 and Route 3, including two new bridges over the Rappahannock River. The project is divided into two portions, the southbound project would cost $115.5 million and northbound would cost $152 million. It would add collector-distributor lanes along I-95 from US17 in southern Stafford County to State Route 3 in Fredericksburg, including two new bridges over the Rappahannock River.
In January 2016, the Southbound portion was put forward as a transportation funding initiative for the next state budget cycle, and more information will be available after June when the General Assembly is expected to vote on transportation funds.
Construct two (2) Collector-Distributor Lanes on Southbound 1-95 from Exit 133 (Route 17) to Exit 130 (Route 3). Reconstruction of interchange at Exit 133 to improve capacity on SB exit ramp to Route 17 and to improve capacity on southbound on-ramp from Route 17. Improve capacity on SB exit ramp at Exit 130 onto Route 3. Reconfiguration of access and parking at rest area south of Rappahannock River on SB I-95. Replacement of Structurally Deficient bridge on I-95 at Exit 133.
1. Add New Through Lanes(s) – Two (2) Collector-Distributor Lanes Southbound starting from 0.5 miles north of Exit 133 to Exit 130 on I-952.
2. Roadway Reconstruction/Realignment – Modifications at Exits 133 & 130 (See Draft Interchange Modification Report (IMR))
3. Improve Grade-Separated Interchange – Modifications at Exits 133 & 130 (See Draft IMR)
4. Ramp Improvement(s) – Improved capacity on southbound on ramp from Rte. 17 (Exit 133) onto I-95. Improved capacity on southbound exit ramp at Rte. 3 westbound (Exit 130)
5. Intersection Improvement(s) – Improving weaving movements between Exit 130 off ramp onto westbound Rte. 3 and Carl D. Silver Parkway (entrance to Central Park shopping center)
6. Turn Lane Improvement(s)
7. New Traffic Signal/Signal Optimization – Signal installation at Exit 130 off ramp at Rte. 3 with new LED signal. Signal installation at Exit 133 on Rte. 17 to on ramp with new LED signal (See Draft IMR)
8. ITS Improvement(s) – Relocating and replacing existing traffic cameras
9. New Bridge(s) – Collector-Distributor Lanes Bridge over the Rappahannock River. New Bridge on southbound braid at Exit 133 (See Draft IMR)
10. Improve/replace existing bridge(s) – Replacing existing structurally deficient bridge on I-95 southbound at Exit 133.
11. Highway Other – Reconfigure access and parking at Rest Area on southbound I-95 (see Draft IMR)
Draft Interchange Modification Report
Graphics of Preferred Alternative
The Environmental Study found that the project should have no significant impacts on the area around it.
01/27/2016 – VDOT officials talk about local road projects
07/24/2015 – Editorial: River crossing plan makes a comeback
06/22/2015 – VDOT to unveil Rappahannock River Crossing study
For information on the I-95 Access Study, please click here.
To access files that have a “.pdf” extension, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. This software may be downloaded free from the Adobe website. Instructions will be provided during the download process.