The Fredericksburg Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (FAMPO) was established in 1992 to carry out the regional transportation planning process in the metropolitan area. As the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Fredericksburg Region, FAMPO is required to coordinate the transportation planning activities for the City of Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County and Stafford County.
The George Washington (GW) Region is comprised of the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania, Stafford and the City of Fredericksburg. The GWRegion grew by 6.9% between the Census in 2010 and July 2015, to a total of about 350,000 residents. This is the second-highest growth rate in the Commonwealth behind Northern Virginia, which grew at a rate of 9.2% in the same period.
Within the GWRegion, the FAMPO Region which consists of Spotsylvania, Stafford and the City of Fredericksburg grew about 7.4% to about 296,000 residents during this period. Given its proximity to Northern Virginia and Washington D.C., our region will continue to experience pressures for both suburban and “exurban” land-uses and their attendant commuting patterns.
We invite you to browse our website to see what is planned to improve the transportation system and quality of life in our region. FAMPO values your input, and encourages you to become more involved in the transportation planning process.
SLUG LINE SURVEY: Stafford County is conducting a survey to determine if Slug Lines should be organized by destination signs in the 610 commuter lots. Please click on the link to take the survey and let them know what you think:
- 09/05/2016 - The GWRC/FAMPO office will be closed in observance of Labor Day
- 08/29/2016 - Job Opportunity - Transportation Planning Intern
- 08/23/2016 - Editorial: In Stafford, a little less gridlock
- 07/20/2016 - Study pinpoints I-95 problems, solutions
- 07/18/2016 - FAMPO pans high-speed rail bypass option through Fredericksburg
- 07/18/2016 - Editorial: Virginia makes play for self-driving car makers
- 07/12/2016 - High-speed rail proposal draws a crowd, criticism
- 07/08/2016 - Regional leaders join McAuliffe in Fredericksburg to laud transportation grant
- 07/05/2016 - I-95 Atlantic Gateway gets $165 million
- 07/05/2016 - Virginia gets federal grant to uncork I-95 corridor
- 07/05/2016 - Governor McAulifee Announces Virginia's Selection for $165 Million FASTLANE Grant to Deliver the Atlantic Gateway Project
- 06/26/2016 - Layne: Revolutionizing transportation