The Fredericksburg Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (FAMPO) is responsible for conducting the federally required metropolitan transportation-planning process for the metropolitan planning region. The region is comprised of the City of Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania and Stafford Counties encompassing approximately 700 square miles with a population over 275,000.
Today, federal, state and other transportation funds are scarce; therefore, transportation investments must be allocated with careful planning to meet our region’s shared vision for its future. FAMPO examines future and investment alternatives, collaborates with state and local governments, interested parties and residents to develop short and long-term transportation plans that meet our region’s objectives. A multi-modal planning approach is used to assure a vibrant, intelligent and growing system of roads, rail, public transportation, and bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure.
FAMPO invites you to browse our website to see what is planned to improve the transportation system and quality of life in our region. FAMPO values your input, and encourages you to become more involved in the transportation planning process.
- Sunday, December 14th – In the evening, the new ramps and lanes on I-95 open to traffic.
- Sunday, December 14th to Sunday December 28th - Standard HOV rules will continue to be in effect during rush hour, with the exception of holidays. No tolling on the 95 Express Lanes and lanes open to all traffic outside rush hours.
- Monday, December 29 – Starting with morning rush hour, full Express Lanes rules will be in place 24/7. E-ZPass or E-ZPass Flex is needed to use lanes.
- The new E-ZPass Flex is now available. E-ZPass Flex is an E-ZPass with an additional switchable feature designed specifically for those traveling on the new 495 Express Lanes in Northern Virginia with 3 or more people in their vehicle.
Learn about the rules affecting poolers on the 95 Express Lanes in this short video:
Click below to hear a message from Aubrey Layne, Virginia Secretary of Transportation.
- 12/23/2014 - The GWRC/FAMPO office will be closed December 24 - 26th. Happy Holidays.
- 11/10/2014 - New Rules on I-95 Will Affect Travelers Who Use the HOV Lanes
- 10/29/2014 - Roads, Internet seen as key to Fredericksburg area's growth
- 09/17/2014 - New FAMPO Administrator named
- 07/29/2014 - Spotsy ready to roll on new VRE station